Posted by Abdul Vasi on 18 Jan 2010 at 11:27 am | Tagged as:
Owning and running a successful business venture is not an easy task. Ensuring that it flourishes and grows is even harder. However,as a business owner you cannot be content to merely stay afloat. Stagnation has often proved to be fatal to even the seemingly most stable businesses. Establishing a set of business policies at this juncture turns out to be very helpful. These policies can help steer your business in the direction you want it to go while strengthening the foundation of your business to support growth. However,you have to ensure that you develop your policies with a great deal of thought as the wrong policy is almost as bad no policy.Here are some ways to ensure that you develop effective policies for your business :
1) Plan ahead : Don’t wait for a crisis to arise before you decide to set your policies.Think and plan ahead.This way you are better prepared in case of an emergency and better equipped to deal with any problems.
2) Be clear about what you need : Analyse your business structure and see what kind of policies you need.Establish and implement only those that are appropriate for your business and which you can benefit from.
3) Take opinions and inputs : A policy developed in isolation can never be effective.Take the opinions,advice and any other input from your key employees and incorporate them into your policy structure.This will lead to the developement of holistic policies that are customised for the betterment of your business.
4) Communication : Once ready,communicate the policies with your entire workforce or team.Share it with them and encourage them to follow these policies and be open to any feedback you may recieve.
5) Constant revision : Revise your policies periodically.The same policy cannot work forever.Due to the changing nature of business and the market,all policies have a shelf life and tend to get obsolete.Constant revision will help you to keep updating them and ensuring that they stay relevant to your business.